| (Photo courtesy of Friends of Pittville website) || |
Pittville Gates are situated at the end of Winchcombe Street in Cheltenham, leading to Pittville Lawn, a residential street which leads to Pittville Park. The Gates were built in 1833 as the grand entrance to Pittville Estate, which was developed in the 1820s by Joseph Pitt. The Gates are listed Grade 2 by English Heritage.
In 2010, the Friends of Pittville embarked on a long-term project to restore the Gates and improve the immediate area, as both were in very poor condition. Phase one of the restoration work started in November 2012, which included the gates being dismantled.
In February 2013 the Summerfield Trust awarded a grant of £20,000 towards Phase 1 of the project and, despite delays caused by bad weather during the winter months, the new stone pillars, renovated ironwork and enhanced landscaping including new pavements are now in place. The final stages of Phase 1 should be completed in September 2013, and fundraising for Phase 2 continues.
More information about the history of the gates can be found in the specially commissioned booklet, Pittville Gates: Cheltenham's 'Grand Entrance' by James Hodsden. Combining old and new images with a specially researched text, it sets out the story of the gates from their origin in 1833 to the present day. Proceeds from the sale of the book support the restoration campaign run by the Friends of Pittville.